Re: [aroid-l] Artificial rock walls.

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Artificial rock walls.
  • From: "Planter Rik" planterrik@hotmail.com
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 20:47:50 -0600

Brian, My info on this is not recent, and there may have been advances of which I am not aware, but, these foams, in residential applications, have produced dangerous gases over time. I would be concerns for both human and flora.

Incidentally, I'm a believer in rock walls, but that is easy for me because I live on a terraced property with a total of around 300' of 8+' 80-year-old retainer walls, with a base greenhouse built between one of these walls and the house, which has 1'-thick brick walls. I've found that a variety of rock-wall/greenhouse configurations works well to provide a variety of light and warmth requirements. It has been important to balance the need for sunlight as the primary heat source and the benefit of warmth retaining rock walls. Besides the base greenhouse, others, extant and planned, have one tall rock wall, lower or graded side rock walls and a wall (opposite the higher rock wall) either has only a low, rock base or a relatively low rock wall -- to the height of the benches.

I'm experimenting with heat lamps aimed at the rock walls this winter.

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field.
--Niels Bohr, Danish Physicist