Re: [aroid-l] More cycads stolen

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] More cycads stolen
  • From: "Michael Bosold" mbosold@meijergardens.org
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 12:55:41 -0500

Although this is a terrible tragedy I do have some questions.  Do you have a security staff?  Are there locking exterior gates?  If you have staff present at night does someone do a walkthrough ?
It probably was more than one person and they more than likely were frequent visitors to you garden.  I don't think concertina wire is advisable but sometimes just a presence of security is enough to prevent theft.  I feel terrible for the QBG.  I know if someone came to my area and took some of my special plants I would search and destroy.  We have a security force here 24/7.  They are always moving around and checking stuff out.  While this is a definite increase inbudget, maybe one night timer could do it.  It's amazing how much a little presence of a security force can have on a situation.  And most of the time, if someone wants something badly enough they will probably get it.  Just an observation.  All the best in your future efforts and sleuthing

Michael Bosold
Outdoor Horticulturist
Frederik Meijer Gardens
1000 East Beltline Ave. NE