Re: [aroid-l] Anthurium regale and Zanthosoma roseum

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Anthurium regale and Zanthosoma roseum
  • From: SelbyHort@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 06:59:26 EST

To everyone,

The Anthurium regale plant that formerly lived for many years in Selby's
Display House (the place Tom referes to as the Rare Plant House) is no longer
there, so if you go looking for it there you won't see it. It was removed
from the rock wall back in the mid 1990's where it had been living for almost
20 years, since it appeared to be in decline and was being crowded out by
other more vigorous plants. It was relocated back in a non-public greenhouse
where it still lives (I hope), although it never got so large as Mardy
Darien's plant, which came from a different source. The one at Selby was
collected by Tim Plowman and Helen Kennedy back in 1976. It came from Peru,
in the Rio Huallaga valley at about 440 m elev. In addition to fertilizer,
the plant seems to likes that balance between a great deal of humidity,
year-round warm temperatures that do not ever drop below 60F at night, and
adequate moist air movement that many others in section Cardiolonchium
prefer...plus really GREAT water (really the key to all good growing and
often the "secret" ingredient that growers never can truly quantify in their
growing descriptions). It is not as simple to grow as some other aroids, but
if pampered with skill it will do very well indeed, as Mardy has demonstrated
to all our amazement.

Donna Atwood