[aroid-l] Amorpho rot

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Amorpho rot
  • From: Brian Williams pugturd@alltel.net
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 13:49:44 -0500

I have been testing different things for years with amorphophallus. Here are a few things I have discovered in these years that have made me become a better grower.

1 Amorphophallus are a lot like potatoes!!! If the potato would rot in that condition so would the Amorphophallus. What do I mean extreme hot conditions extreme cold conditions. As well as dampness.

2 Humidity and air flow can play a huge part. If you have no humidity water the dormant bulb a little this helps stop dry rot. The soil should be dried out by the next day for this to work. If you have a very humid place this is not needed as much because the humidity is keeping the soil a bit moist.

3 Digging up bulbs when a bulb goes dormant it is not done nor when it blooms. Leaving them in the ground or pot you will find the bulb will increase in size the roots are pulling in nutrients still and I believe this is very crucial for getting larger bulbs faster. If you pull a bulb and it has roots re-pot it wants to feed more.

4 Do not store bulbs in groups this is asking for trouble when bulbs touch they tend to rot easier starting from the bottom. Also plastic bags are a huge no no. Like I said its like potatoes.

5 Pot size. Its always best to put amorphophallus in the ground you will get better results but many of us cannot do this. If you won't put them in the ground at least put them in a good size pot. Soil acts differently depending on how much their is. In small pots it will dry out faster in big pots will stay damp longer. I have found many amorphophallus like larger pots. This give them room to grow and will help prevent dry rot in the dormant months.

6 Growing these things. OK these are rare plants but they are not to be babied. I know this is going to hurt some one but don't baby these things to death. Best thing to do it take that pot outside put it in a good area. When a Amorphophallus is out side it will be healthier the stems will be stronger the leaf tougher the color usually better. This is due to growing up in rough and tough environments. The wind is something it needs to know as is some good old sun. The rain water will really help take them off as well. I tell people to always do this before they start popping up. If you grow it in the green house slender and weak and put it out its going to get tore up due to not being suited for those conditions.

7 Feeding! One big thing about Amorphophallus is food they like it. But their are something's one must know. Fertilizers cause rot! Yes if you fertilize before the roots are out and growing you run a risk of killing your plants. These roots need time to develop. Early fertilizing can be a killer in the spring. This does not apply to just Amorphophallus but to all plants. Most plants cannot eat with out roots so fertilizing a Amorphophallus before it has this is a waist any ways. Then when the roots come out they will be burned from the fertilizers. It is best to wait till you have a nice looking plant and then start hitting it with some fertilizers. One of my personal favorite things to do is take a stick and poke a hole in the soil usually about 5 to 8 inches away from the plant. The holes usually about 5 inches deep and I fill it full of Osmacote fertilizer. This is far enough from the plant that the roots will grow to it. Also its enough to keep the plant happy for a whole season usually.

8 Stopping the evil and demonic ROT. I have been fighting this battle for sometime. I have lots a lot of good bulbs in the battles. But over the few years I have found many weaknesses in my enemy. One which is easy to get at any hardware place is sulfur. I powder my bulbs with this I also use 1 teaspoon I believe per gallon and spray the beds and leaves of all my plants. Doing this will help prevent rot and stop it before it starts. Another thing is to pick up those going dormant leaves. Yes I know its work but all the amorphophallus leaves laying down rotting is asking for more rot to show. Clean it up soldier. When out of sulfur and having a wounded one on the surgery table using cinnamon will work. Cut out the rot clean with water scrap out the poison and put in the cinnamon and allow him to dry off. If the rot returns do it over.

There are some of the things I have been doing and my collection now is better than it has ever been. The only huge problem I have now is for more room to grow them all. Which I hope to fix soon.