[aroid-l] Revision African Amorphophallus published........in German

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Revision African Amorphophallus published........in German
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid (prive)" hetter@worldonline.nl
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 06:15:02 +0100

Phalloid Pholks,

The following link:

will lead you to a webpage with information on volumes of the German journal
Englera. In the list shines the NEW volume 25, being a revision of the
African Amorphophallus species. It has long been in preparation for
publishing. It is Stefan Ittenbach's PhD for the University of Bonn
(Germany) and has been updated by Josef Bogner and me for publication.
Unfortunately we could not prepare a full English translation as that would
have been too costly for the editors, so it is in german. With 263 pages,
this is a sizeable publication. It covers topics like general morphology,
anatomy, geography, taxonomy (phylogeny) and finally a full scale revision
of the 35 African species with descriptions etc. Illustrations are often
photos of the original herbarium specimens but also a few pictures of plants
in the flesh. All in black-and-white.

Stefan himself has disappeared from botany several years ago. I enjoyed
cooperating with him for two years but after that he couldn't get a job in
botany. I wonder if there is any causality here..........