[aroid-l] My friend's trip home to Sri Lanka

  • Subject: [aroid-l] My friend's trip home to Sri Lanka
  • From: ken@spatulacity.com
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 00:07:52 -0500

Hello aroid experts,

A friend that I work with is going home to Sri Lanka for three weeks. I'm sure there must be lots of aroids there, and he has agreed to try to find some and maybe bring them back. He's familiar with a nearby agricultural station of some kind where I think he might be able to get phyto certificate. I want to do everything on the up-and-up, but I'm hoping to do it for a good price.

My dilemma is that I don't know what's native to Sri Lanka. I'm most interested in tuberous aroids like Amorphs and such. I certainly don't want him to waste much time on plain old Colocasia that I can get here cheap enough.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what species of Amorphophallus he might be able to find? Anything else interesting along those lines? Also, even though he's seen lots of aroid inflorescences while at home, he has no idea what the native names are. I don't think he really paid much attention to the plants that were growing around him as he grew up. Does anyone know the local name for Amorphopahallus in Sri Lanka?

Thanks,
Ken Mosher