[Aroid-l] Tubers bought in a market.

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Tubers bought in a market.
  • From: Neil Gordon neil@ng23.abelgratis.co.uk
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:24:30 +0000

I just did my shopping in a local market, and saw (and bought) some tubers that look suspiciously like Amorphophaulls tubers - although the area where the stalk detaches doesnt look quite right, the shop next door had some that looked the same that did have the leaf scar on the tuber, but id bought the others already and didnt have enough to buy these ones.

These are about 6 inches across, and to me, look like theyre amporphs.

What i want to know is, which kind of Amorphophallus tubers are edible, and out of those, which ones would I most likely be able to find in an Indian fruit and veg market.

I will be eating one of them in tonights curry! do they have a particular taste or are they just yam like? The other ones going to be saved and grown in the spring!

I guess the only way to know is to wait until spring when they do start growing to find out, but im impatient now i found them!

Aroid-l mailing list