Re: [Aroid-l] Tubers bought in a market.

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Tubers bought in a market.
  • From: RAYMOMATTLA@cs.com
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:32:17 EST

The ones I got at Walmart this past spring were labeled from Ecuador (Malanga).  They turned out to be X. violeceum.  I have picked up a few at Kroger (supermarket) that turned out to be X. saggitifolium.  They were labled Arum americanum at the supermarket but I knew better.  Unfortunately, none of the Asian markets (the very few we have in the Upstate area of South Carolina), have much variety in the produce department.  Local Indian stores sell Suran but canned only.  None of the Hispanic groceries even know what Malanga is...what is the Mexican name for this?
Michael