[Aroid-l] Alocasia chaii

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Alocasia chaii
  • From: Jason Hernandez mossytrail@earthlink.net
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:14:57 -1000 (GMT-10:00)

The Alocasia chaii I purchased from Malesiana Tropicals are struggling.  When they first arrived, I opened the package to find that each had grown a new leaf while in transit -- a completely white leaf due to the absence of light.  My problem was to figure out how to give them adequate light for growth, without burning them.  For awhile, I had them about one foot below a flourescent light fixture; but this did not appear sufficient, as the white leaves did not green up, nor was any further growth observed.  So, with some trepidation, I moved them to an east-facing window, where they would recieve direct sunlight in the morning, but hopefully not all day.  The move coincided with a series of partly-cloudy days here in Hawaii, so I had hopes that they might thus be able to adjust.  Alas, they appear to have scorched anyway -- the good green leaves as well as the white ones.  I really do not have much space for more elaborate arrangements than the flourescent light or the window (I have no outdoor garden, even).  Is there any hope of saving these plants?

Fortunately, the Aeschynanthes tricolor appears still to be in good health.

Jason Hernandez
Aroid-l mailing list