[Aroid-l] Re: Tubers bought in a market

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Re: Tubers bought in a market
  • From: Jason Hernandez mossytrail@earthlink.net
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:03:52 -1000 (GMT-10:00)

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 05:59:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Kyle Baker <kylefletcherbaker@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Tubers bought in a market.
To: Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>

Could you folks list the tubers you've found in
markets as here in maine we've several very good asian
markets and they have some of the strangest looking
roots I've seen....am growing several types of gingers
from there but notice yams...what look like taro and
some turnip looking things
d love to do some research and start growing em....thx

In Hawaii, regular supermarkets often have Colocasia esculenta, both the big taro type, and the little eddoe type.  In Chinatown Honolulu, one can also find "Okinawan sweet potato" -- I believe it is the regular species, but it is quite angular in shape (often like a jicama or turnip, or like a doubled version of same), with a pale yellow skin and rich, dark purple flesh.

Jason Hernandez
Aroid-l mailing list