[Aroid-l] Chris Darling/Tom Croat/Xanthosoma ID/

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Chris Darling/Tom Croat/Xanthosoma ID/
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 00:00:56 +0000

Dear Chris,

While surfing the aroid-l identification page, I came across your photo of a Xanthosoma species taken at "Podocarpus National Park" (where exactly is this Park located??). The inflorescence in your photos bears a striking resemblance to a species I had photographed in Trinidad, W.I.
Recently Dr. Tom Croat, Mike Grayum (Missouri Bot. Garden), Dr. Eduardo Goncalves (Brazil) and 'yours truly' had a long and most interesting discussion on it`s correct identification. The Trinidadian plant in question had been previously named by Dr. Simon Mayo of Kew Gardens, U.K. (in his work on the Aroids of Trinidad, W.I.) as Xanthosoma undipes, but we still have some reservations as to it`s correct identification. Hopefully Tom Croat, Mike Grayum and Eduardo will read this message and take a look at the bloom in question in the Aroid ID gallery? It might add some grist to our discussion-mill!
By the way, the link on the photo, where one is said to be able to send an e-mail to Chris, did not work.

Sincerely,

Julius Boos
WPB, FLORIDA