Re: [Aroid-l] Begonia convention Miami March 1,2,3

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Begonia convention Miami March 1,2,3
  • From: Susan Johnston susanlynne48@yahoo.com
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:26:32 -0800 (PST)

Tim - I have been to a couple of national conventions (Begonia) in the past.  Many years ago when I used to grow them by the hundreds.  Living in Oklahoma with two of the greatest growers of all time, Kathlyn Calvert, and Dorothy Caviness, I belonged to the Barkley Branch.  You are young enough, you probably haven't even heard of them.  How about Don Miller from Dallas (North Haven)?  Just had to see if you you are a begoniac, too?  Still have my copy of The Thompson's Begonia Guide signed by Millie.  I met them in Miami at the Nationals there.  The Dallas show was the first ever held outside the state of California.  I was at that one, too, where Kathlyn took Best in Show and Best everything.  She grew magnificent begonias, and most of them are now residing at the Myriad Botanical Gardens in OKC.
Have fun at the show.  I still have memoirs from the first Miami show ever!
Susan (in OKC)

TimothyA7@aol.com wrote:
You are invited to a  great horticultural event. Includes Largest orchid show in US, Palm Beach Flower show, trips to nurseries, A world class plant sale, 3 book signings and a bunch more neat plant stuff. For more info drop me a line for a program.
Tim Anderson

Palm Hammock Orchid Estate
9995 S.W. 66 St.
Miami.Fl. 33173