Re: [Aroid-l] Colletogyne vs. climbers.

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Colletogyne vs. climbers.
  • From: "Peter Boyce" botanist@malesiana.com
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 06:59:58 +0800

Yeah, yeah, I AGREE but Julius, you simply cannot believe the fun of, in the rain, spotting an aroid climber blossoming at the top of a large tree, climbing said tree (which naturally has several large nests of aggressive stinging ants (you know the kind, they clamp on with their huge mandibles to gain better purchase to sting)) and just as you reach the base of the pertinent branch all the movement you've set up sends the spathe falling past; you make a grab for it, in so doing you catch your foot in the climbing stems, in the process ripping of the (naturally solitary) inflorescence which also falls but instead of reaching the ground lodges in the branches of an adjacent (fiercely thorny) tree in which hangs a large hornet nest, the force of the inflorescence striking the tree agitates the hornets which then attack...

Ah! How can I not LOVE climbers

May I echo you Wilbert & everyone elses contributions to the IAS page

Pete
----- Original Message ----- From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>