[Aroid-l] Re: Collecting Climbers

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Re: Collecting Climbers
  • From: Jason Hernandez mossytrail@earthlink.net
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:29:46 -1000 (GMT-10:00)

If indeed they are all a single clone, then it could be there is an internal, genetic "clock" (maybe calendar would be a better metaphor?) which sets off the bloom.  That would explain the synchronization independently of growing conditions.  That would not be so unusual: we humans seem to have something similar triggereing the onset of puberty at an approximately set age -- but since we are not all one clone, we show some variation.  If there were numerous human clones of one original, they probably would all hit puberty at the same time.  What is needed is a field study of the wild E. aureum population in Moorea, to see how closely synchronized they are (assuming they are derived from more than one clone).  Since the plants do bloom, there is (or ancestrally was) presumably seed production in the wild -- the same field study should investigate whether seedling recruitment is occurring.

Jason Hernandez
Aroid-l mailing list