RE: [Aroid-l] Re: Blooming all at once.

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Re: Blooming all at once.
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 19:19:03 +0000

From : 	Jason Hernandez <mossytrail@earthlink.net>
Sent : 	Sunday, January 22, 2006 7:29 AM
To : 	aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Subject : 	[Aroid-l] Re: Collecting Climbers

From : 	Peter Boyce <botanist@malesiana.com>
Sent : 	Wednesday, January 18, 2006 9:14 AM
To : 	"Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	Re: [Aroid-l] Collecting climbers.

Dear Jason and Pete,

What Jasan suggests (last one down) makes sense at least to me---all may be clones of the SAME plant, and so may be genitically 'keyed' exactly the same to all bloom at the same time no matter where in the world they may end up growing, no matter what the growing conditions, height of support structure, etc. That it only occurs so many years apart is another matter that some day we may get the answer to!
Thanks Jason.

Dear Pete,
That all E. pinnatum 'Aureum' probably all came from/originated from one collected clone is probably correct, but I wonder as to the 'why'/cause of all these many plants, distributed all over the world, and thus presumably subjected to different growing/light conditions, just all at the same time up and blooming, especially after NOT doing so for many yeasr between bloomings. I think the intrim in this case is somewhere around 30 + years! I know that some bamboos do it, even when on opposite sides of the world, much like this plant!! What an interesting thing. Any further ideas??

The best,

If indeed they are all a single clone, then it could be there is an internal,
genetic "clock" (maybe calendar would be a better metaphor?) which sets off the
bloom. That would explain the synchronization independently of growing
conditions. That would not be so unusual: we humans seem to have something
similar triggereing the onset of puberty at an approximately set age -- but
since we are not all one clone, we show some variation. If there were numerous
human clones of one original, they probably would all hit puberty at the same
time. What is needed is a field study of the wild E. aureum population in
Moorea, to see how closely synchronized they are (assuming they are derived from
more than one clone). Since the plants do bloom, there is (or ancestrally was)
presumably seed production in the wild -- the same field study should
investigate whether seedling recruitment is occurring.

Jason Hernandez
Aroid-l mailing list

Aroid-l mailing list