[Aroid-l] Re: blooming all at once

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Re: blooming all at once
  • From: john s smolowe johnssmolowe@pacbell.net
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 16:31:19 -0800

to me the fact that they are of one clone doesn't address the mystery. how does the plant know? what is the trigger, given that it can't be, say, the 15th spring if plants are blooming at the same time in the northern and southern hemisphere? to me, it's an extreme example of a more common mystery. many plants continue to flower in the spring of their country of origin even when moved to the opposite hemishere.

even when they are grown from seed and even, in many cases, when the seed has been dormant for years. how can a seed keep track of time?

john