Re: [Aroid-l] Xanthosoma violaceum

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Xanthosoma violaceum
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 02:40:17 +0000

Dear friends,

I am leaving the city for two weeks for vacancy (2006 was a crazy year indeed), but I will answer this post first. Xanthosoma violaceum flowers regularly in Brazil and maybe in other places too. However, it rarely flowers if kept in pots. You can see the flowers of the true species in the Genera of Araceae book (by Mayo, Bogner and Boyce). When it decides to flowers, it can produce up to 10 inflorescences per plant, that are pale yellow with pinkish edges. Usually flowering plants have a long creeping stem instead of the corm of the young form. By the way, Chlorospatha croatiana flowered for me for the first time this month. The inflorescences are somewhat twisted... What a lovely plant... It is a pity that it is hard to find species of this genus to cultivate and they are not native to Brazil. I would love to have more around!!! One of the plants of Caladium tuberosum (I just brought from the field) seems to be flowering too. Very nice!!! I will ask a little patience for those that have tried to contact me for these times. One of those new year promises I made to myself it was to be able to answer emails in real time again, as I used to do some years ago. I will try do it when I am back from the shore... Until there, I will try to stay clean and be out of aroids for some time!

                                     Very best wishes,

Dr. Eduardo G. Goncalves
Universidade Catolica de Brasilia
Curso de Ciencias Biologicas