Re: [Aroid-l] Philodendron Help

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Philodendron Help
  • From: "Steve Lucas Exotic Rainforest" <steve@exoticrainforest.com>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 17:30:02 -0600

There is obviously more than a bit of disagreement on what "species" the plant known as the Silver Queen actually is.  One well known collector has brought this discrepancy to my attention once before and I began at that time to try to find out which plant is which.  I have found the identical photo of the "Silver Queen" plant identified as both Monstera dubia and Monstera siltepecana on different websites.  The photo of M. dubia on the IAS website appears to be at least similar.  My website is at least one of the sites that currently has the "Silver Queen" noted as the juvenile form of M. dubia.  I received my identification from a well known collector.  However, I have clearly noted on that page as well as M. siltepecana, both are under some scrutiny and review.  I asked Dr. Croat some weeks ago for a clarification but as yet have not received a positive response.  I have seen the plant "Silver Queen" offered for sale on eBay as M. dubia and "Philodendron dubia" as well.  Not being a botanist I attempt only to report what I can verify to the best of my ability.  The plant I have on my site as M. siltepecana was identified for me about 10 months ago by an associate at the Huntington.  Unfortunately, I did not save the email response so I can no longer verify who made that identification.  I would, as much as anyone, love to have an absolute identification on these plants.  I have it noted in several locations on the site I invite those who are qualified to bring inaccurate identifications to my attention.  My personal goal is to be as accurate as possible since I am an admitted student of botany.  Unfortunately, as we all regularly experience, there are a lot of opinions out there about the correct names for a variety of plants.
If anyone is absolutely positive about the correct ID I'd love to hear the correct names.
Steve Lucas