Re: [Aroid-l] Forced Dormancy Question

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Forced Dormancy Question
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 20:30:15 -0600 (CST)

I haven't seen much response to your note, so here's a few comments. I have an
interest in this, too, since my indoor growing space is limited and dormant
things take up much less room.

Typhonium venosum (a.k.a. Sauromatum venosum and probably a dozen other things)
is quite hardy - I've grown it only outdoors here in NW Arkansas for many
years, even back when we had cold winters (-25 C or below) with no problems. It
flowers and sets seed every year. If you're not in a really brutally cold area,
you might consider the outdoor option.

As to Amorphs, I keep konjac outdoors, too, and although it took several years,
it finally did synch up with our seasons and seems perfectly acclimated.

I've had what I can only call very limited success trying to persuade other
Amorphs to change their dormancies for me. Most seem to go dormant and break
dormancy whenever they please, without regard to the seasons outside.

I've never been willing to risk Amorphs in the refrigerator - rightly or
wrongly, I've gotten the impression that many will rot if they get very cool -
but I do keep them coolish (12-15 C), and as dry as the individual species will
permit. The only positive results I've had, in fact, seem to be those that will
tolerate being unpotted and kept completely dry with no soil at all. At some
point, even those decide they're just going to start growing again, soil or
not, but I have gradually gotten some pushed around the calender a little.

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007, Allan Tetzlaff wrote:

> I have bulbs of Typhonium venosum and I keep them in the fridge during the
> winter so they don't start growing too soon in the spring (the suggestion of
> the woman I purchased them from).  I was wondering if anyone has experience
> with any of the Amorphophallus species in using this type of method to shift
> the growing season?  Eg.  My A. haematospadix always grow during the winter
> and rest during the summer.  Though they're not big, they do take up
> space....  same issue for paeoniifolius which are currently getting large.
> If they grow outside in the summer that solves a few important issues.  Any
> tips would be appreciated.  I'm not concerned about konjac as it seems to
> match our season fairly well.
> Thanks,
> Allan Tetzlaff

-- Steve Marak