Re: [Aroid-l] Re: Rafflesia

I recalll Tetrastigma ssp is the host, but I might be wrong.

With regards, Marcin

At 22:15 2007-01-15 -0800, you wrote:
> >From :     piaba <piabinha@yahoo.com>
> Subject :     [Aroid-l] Rafflesia
> I know that my friend Pia who posted this is knowledgable
> as to the  following, but for those who are not, and who
> just might even THINK about  his suggestion of trying to
> establish Rafflesia in Horticulture, the  following facts
> might disuade them and save them lots of time and effort.
> To realisticly grow Raflesia, on would have to first
> obtain the seeds and  cultivate a specific giant jungle
> vine to maturity, as the only place that  Rafflesia is
> know to exist is as a parasite WITHIN the tissues of one
> of  these GIANT jungle vines.
Funny how things come around again, isn't it?  This exact
same discussion was on here two or three years ago.  So,
which giant jungle vine is the host?  (I suspect different
ones for different Rafflesia species, of which there are at
least a dozen.)  It's enough to make me wish I'd gotten that
"Rafflesias of the World" book at the airport on my last
trip to Malaysia (the symposium, you all remember that).
Aroid-l mailing list

Aroid-l mailing list