Re: What is Aneuploidy?

  • Subject: Re: What is Aneuploidy?
  • From: "Tom Croat" <Thomas.Croat@mobot.org>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 14:35:37 -0600

Dear Ted:

	In our breeding studies here at the Missouri Botanical Gardens
we have found that intersectional crosses are rare, usually impossible
so the chromosome counts are not the only determining factor because
several sections share 2n=30. Also aneuploidy appears to be in evidence
in sect. Porphyrochitonium which has chromosome levels of 28,29,30, 31
for example and these numbers can arrive by unequal crossing and through
the production of triploids which can cross because they have a full
complement of chromosomes.  Really we ought to get Dick Sheffer to
expound on this.  That is his area of expertice.

Tom