Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 18:12:45 +0100
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] weird konjac
From: "Jan Agoston" <agoston.janos123@gmail.com>
To: "Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>

Dear Bernhard,
It is a teratome. Actually this is often happening with bulbs, like the bigger bulbs of hyacinthus may produce 3 or 4 flowering stems from the bulb, but only 1 leaf rozette. While playing with temperature in the warehouse people realized, that on a specific temperature during flowerstalk development they can avoiding the multiple stems. They have only one but big stem (this teratome called "cristata" in latin), a bit flattened, but with much more flowers on a stem. Sometimes the game is finished before all bulbs developed their stalks, and we may see a stem with a forking end. (Properly one stem with 2 ends). It is also common with Hippeastrums, but on the Auction it is not a pre. (It is called "vuursteel" in Dutch).
I think this is what had happened, but it can be a result of virus infection also.
If it do this next year it does not mean that it will go like this forever.
You may remebre the A. titanum with 3 inflorescences from last(?) year? If the initiation of the inflorescences haven't had finished correctly (e.g.: it would got a cold shock, or something extreme) maybe the 3 inflorescences wouldn't developed separately, but together, and we would have seen similar symptoms.
I hope others have also opinions in this regard.
Aroid-L mailing list