Anthurium whitelockii

Jared, I just looked up Rancho Soledad's website and it appears they sell more hybridized plants or at least plants using a pseudo-name than species.  They didn't show anything called "Anthurium whitelockii" but it isn't uncommon for nurseries to create a pseudo identification for plants hich they don't have a verified name.  At least one of the plants on their site appears to be an unusual variant form of a commonly available Anthurium species but sold using a created name.

There is a plant grown all over South Florida which everyone knows as "Philodendron wilsonii".  That species is truly Philodendron subincisum Schott but very few people down there know the real species name.  How the name Philodendron wilsonii is known since one of the original sellers was Bob Wilson.  He apparently used his own name as a joke but it has stuck for many years.  The name you were given may be only a nursery trade name.

As for your seedlings, Anthurium seedlings often emerge with a cordate blade (heart shaped) that is upside down and only once they begin to mature do they change to the shape we are used to seeing.  I would check beneath the soil and see if these seedlings are sprouting from the stem or free growing since new growth from a stem node is not uncommon.  If free growing it is of course possible you had seeds from this or another species in the soil.

Steve Lucas
www.ExoticRainforest.com

Tom Croat wrote:

Steve:

            What I once called Anthurium whitelockii turned out to be another new species which is now published, namely A. faustomirandae M. Perez Farrara & Croat

Thus A. whitelockii is no more, just what we call an herbarium name.

Tom

oid-l

begin:vcard
fn:Steve  Lucas