I.D.`ing the Anthurium from Jared

  • Subject: I.D.`ing the Anthurium from Jared
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 12:51:57 +0000

Dear All,

Please DON`T take my suggestion a ''final'' solution.   I usually try to stay out of these discussions on I.D.`ing store-bought plants, but this one is interesting now that I have seen a photo.  It is not a ''birds nest" type, and is NOT in my opinion a pure species.  The up-turned posterior lobes of the leaves which create the impression of a ''cup"" are NOT like A. fausto., which has a HUGE, almost flat cordate leaf, VERY 'hard-textured'.  Steve will have photos on his site of a pure A. faustomir.
I`d like to see a photo of an inflorescence on this (Jared`s) plant, as the bloom on a pure A. fausto. is large, and has a cup-shaped large spathe which spreads over the spadix like a roof, and a very short peduncle/stem.   Jared`s plant might exibit a different spathe/peduncle which may offer hints as to the plant`s possibly mixed parentage.

Julius