Aroid breeding problems

  • Subject: Aroid breeding problems
  • From: Brian Williams <pugturd@alltel.net>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 17:35:51 -0500

I have been working on breeding aroids for many years now. I have found
a few species that show some very interesting traits that I am looking
to work with. These aroids are self fertile but if I add pollen from a
different similar species it never takes. I remember having similar
problems with Amorphophallus bulbifer. What is the cause of this and why
is the pollen unable to take? It really does not make much sense to me
sense the plant is fertile and able to receive it's own pollen. I would
think that a similar species would easily cross with it. Is their any
way around this barricade?