Re: LED lighting (was aroid recommendations)

  • Subject: Re: LED lighting (was aroid recommendations)
  • From: "Elizabeth Campbell" <desinadora@mail2designer.com>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 03:29:53 -0800

Hi Steve,

I'm a professional lighting designer, among other things, so I can maybe help with your question about LED vs Incandescent.
I can't speak to the PAR output of the LEDs vs standard incandescent PARs, but I can speak to the lumen level at 5 feet, which is equal or better with LEDs than with incandescent PARs (at least, according to my light meter, and as with all lights, depending on the age of the lamps.) The main difference between the two is the colour and quality of the light - incandescents swing heavy to the yellow end of the spectrum, while LED light is a more balanced full-spectrum white. This makes LED light a better choice for plants, actually, because you're not overloading them with too much of a single spectrum. This said, LED lamps are a bit more expensive than standard incandescent lamps, however you get about 10x the lamp-life out of them and use a significant amount less power so the savings is actually there in the long run.

The only drawback I've found with LED is that they don't have the same throw distance as incandescent when you get into higher wattages (or equivalent wattages) - this limits my use for them in the theatres and on outdoor stages to small specials, however for your purposes they are ideal since the light doesn't have to go terribly far.

HTH, Beth

Message: 1