Re: Growing Anthurium from seeds

At 10:26 AM 1/25/2009, Betsy Feuerstein wrote:
First of all, if you have the seed, get them planted. These are not long delay seeds. There are as many ways to do anthurium seeds as there are attempters. I have grown and am growing many thousands of anthurium seeds. Some do great. Others are a pain in the petute...lucky to get one out of 100 and others, you could forget. Growing anthurium cutucuense was impossible for me. Got them up to about one inch and that was that no matter what conditions I put them under. Now realize this is  a fairly high altitude specie and that may have been the cause of my challenge.

this is pretty much my experience with all seeds and fern spores too. the most important thing is fertile seed/spore, and after than a combo of cleanliness, by which i mean a growing condition uncontaminated by things which would or could or will overgrow the seed. for me this used to be algae, the bane of filmy fern cultivation.  the only other thing is to remove anything with mildew.  and warmth. humidity. after that it is one big crapshoot. I just reluctantly threw out some seed which had been sitting on top of the computer with a temperature monitor strip, it just got so far and overnight, all the seed turned to white furry balls of MUSH. this was from a caudiciform Madagascan  tree.  Sobbing and rending of garments.

Soon i am going to lightly sandpaper some seed, and pour boiling water on it and let it sit for 24 hours. before planting it. It seems i hardly plant anything lately without some violence, setting it on fire, toasting it in the oven, or taking a file to it savagely.

hermine