Re: Growing Anthurium from seeds

  • Subject: Re: Growing Anthurium from seeds
  • From: "Betsy Feuerstein" <ecuador10@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 12:26:02 -0600

First of all, if you have the seed, get them planted. These are not long delay seeds. There are as many ways to do anthurium seeds as there are attempters. I have grown and am growing many thousands of anthurium seeds. Some do great. Others are a pain in the petute...lucky to get one out of 100 and others, you could forget. Growing anthurium cutucuense was impossible for me. Got them up to about one inch and that was that no matter what conditions I put them under. Now realize this is  a fairly high altitude specie and that may have been the cause of my challenge.
I put my seeds down in clear plastic sweater boxes from the Container Store. I  use regular potting soil. I label to the best of my ability where the seed came from or whom and what I know about the specie. I grow on growing tables under lights. Usually I get good results, but there are times, forget it. Unfortunately, usually those are the ones I really wanted. There was an article in Aroideana some time back where people gave their way of growing. Maybe someone can remember what issue that was to be helpful. I put Saran wrap over the top to keep moisture around. Different species germinate at different speeds.
Some do the community pots and put a piece of glass over them. I have a friend who puts damp newspaper over her seeds and then removes it when the seeds have sprouted. She grows in a greenhouse. Some just use sphagnum moss as the medium. Others use sterile soilless medium.
As you see, so many options. Use what you have, do as you would other seeds and watch. Maybe others will chime in with their ways of growing anthurium seeds.