Aroid-l] Duckweeds--Wikipedia

  • Subject: Aroid-l] Duckweeds--Wikipedia
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@exoticrainforest.com>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:50:00 -0600

Good idea Julius.

Here is a list of some of the sources I use almost daily.  Some will only confirm or deny the validity of a scientific name while others will give more detailed information.  Everyone should be aware that not every plant name will always show up on some of these lists since those names are either recently published or works in progress which have not been published at all.  And much worse, MANY of the names used on internet plant discussion groups and sources such as Wiki are totally "made-up"  (that's Dr. Croat's term!).  One of our youngest members Taylor Holzer (14) who is quickly becoming a whiz at aroids found one last night called "Philodendron Katak" on a website that is a completely bogus name!  The plant they were showing is Philodendron martianum Engler.  He also found a plant on one site which was using the name of a Philodendron species and the plant was obviously an Anthurium!  Taylor immediately knew they had the wrong genus name!  You see, Taylor loves to read about aroids and keeps me on my toes all the time!  But what we all have to deal with as a result of the internet is you can rarely trust ANY name of a plant discussion group!  I've actually found people putting their own last name with "ii" at the end!

One major point of interest if you are trying to learn about an aroid species!  Dr. Croat frequently publishes his field notes on TROPICOS, you just need to know how to find them!  Follow this procedure:  1)  Go to the TROPICOS site and type in the scientific name you are seeking information regarding.  If the name you typed does not pop up you need to check to see if you misspelled the name.  The TROPICOS system will often try to correct your spelling or suggest proper spellings as you work.  But if all else fails then type in only the genus name (i.e. Philodendron).  A complete list of species will pop up but you should be aware this list will also include all valid names plus any synonym names.  You need to go to that page and look at the headers to see if the name is a synonym for another plant!  Click on "synonyms" and the site will tell you if it is valid or a synonym of another species.  Then, after you have located a valid name click on "specimens".  A list of the collected specimens will pop up.  You can see to the left of the page where the specimen was collected and to the right you'll see a list of collection numbers including the author.  If you find any with Dr. Croat's name on them as the collector click on the number.  Then you will be able to read his field notes about that particular collection.  READ THEM ALL!  You will often find additional info in other collection data.  I often go through the entire list to find information on the color or details of an inflorescence, characteristics of the petiole, stem, blade, cataphyll and other important facts you can use to determine the characteristics of a species.

TROPICOS which is a service of the Missouri Botanical Garden
http://www.tropicos.org/

The International Aroid Society.  You'll find tons of good info here!
http://www.aroid.org/

The Aroid l Index.  To use this try typing in the name of the plant and then click on all the years.  The system will search for any discussions of that species from the beginning of Aroid l
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Aroid l achieves search.mht

The International Plant Names Index  which is a service of the Royal Botanic Garden Kew in London.  This is considered the ultimate source by many but rarely lists details and only confirms the validity of names.
http://www.ipni.org/index.html

Kew Monocot Checklist.  This site sometimes contains good info about why a plant is a synonym instead of the currently accepted name.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Kew World Monocots Checklist Series.mht

The Kew World Checklist of Selected Plant Families
http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/prepareChecklist.do;jsessionid=D4E7F43755D6B641D

Cate Araceae
http://www.cate-araceae.org/index.do;jsessionid=96982249A0181F1EB1E74E6CEB9841D4

In addition, look up any of the major botanical garden websites.  Sometimes you will find the information you need.

Of course, you should add all of Dr. Croat's journals on Philodendron, Anthurium and other genera you are interested in learning about to you library.   Be certain you own a copy of Deni Bown's book Aroids, Plants of the Arum Family.  One of the ultimate scientific source books is The Genera of Araceae by Mayo, Bogner and Boyce.  Many of you often read Pete Boyce's material right here!   Julius and I both depend on that text heavily since you can learn very detailed info that is rarely available in other sources.
You can order just about all of these from the IAS.

By the way, have you paid your 2009 International Aroid Society renewal?  If you're not a member go to this link and join RIGHT NOW:  http://www.aroid.org/  The info you'll receive in the mail is well worth the small cost!

Steve Lucas
www.ExoticRainforest.com