Initiating a California/ US West Coast Aroid Group

  • Subject: Initiating a California/ US West Coast Aroid Group
  • From: Dan Levin <levin@pixar.com>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 02:32:15 -0800

The notion of forming a Calif.-based aroid group has been bouncing
around the hollows of my hippocampus for nearly a decade.  Best of
intentions and all that, I could never quite bring the concept to
fruition.

Well... it just so happens this same idea- the gathering of regionally
proximate aroiders for fun, and the sharing of knowledge and plants-
has also been bouncing around the solidly superior hippocampus of
another Bay Area individual and all-around good guy: Dr. Paul Licht,
Director of the U.C. Botanical Garden at Berkeley.

Newly motivated by Paul's infectious demeanor & interest in Arisaema
(not to mention numerous cups of coffee and some mighty fine danish
served at his office) I am pleased to announce: a California/ US West
Coast Aroid Group is now officially forming!

The ultimate landscape of what such a group may look like and entail
is fairly wide open, subject to whatever the participants wish it to
be and
are willing to take on themselves- as per all groups.  Formal,
informal...
it's all good.  At the very least I could see this providing those of
us with
ZIP codes beginning with "9" a chance to expand our collective cultural
knowledge of temperate and tropical highland Araceae... i.e. plants we
can and do grow out here that our friends in the eastern US (and other
places) often struggle with, and as a consequence, we generally don't
hear as much about through the common aroid channels.

To get things rolling, we're planning a get-together/ meeting sometime
in the coming months (Feb. or March), to be held on a Sunday at the
UC Botanical Garden at Berkeley.  http://botanicalgarden.berkeley.edu/

I respectfully ask those of you who are interested- even if only
marginally
so, or if you live outside the region but hope to make it anyway- to
please
contact me directly/ off-list.  We'll provide everyone with all the
details and
requisite information the moment things become locked.

Please consider joining us in Berkeley in the very near future!

With many thanks,

   -Dan Levin
  <levin@pixar.com>