Re: Number of A. titanums in existence.

  • Subject: Re: Number of A. titanums in existence.
  • From: "Tony Avent" <tony@plantdelights.com>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 18:59:59 -0500 (EST)

Don:

Since we have sold 672 A. titanums since 2000, I'd say the number is
slightly low....unless they know that 532 of them have died.

> The A. titanum at our local museum in Milwaukee is about to bloom.
>
> http://www.mpm.edu/exhibitions/featured/titan-arum/2010/
>
> An article in the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel stated :
>
>> The museum's corpse flower, which has never bloomed before, has its
>> roots in
>> Sumatra, and only about 140 of the plants are known to exist in the
>> world,
>> according to Neil Luebke, curator of botany at the museum and the stinky
>> plant's guardian.
>

> While I realize they aren't selling these at K-Mart as yet, the figure of
> 140 seems rather low to me, at least when you add in all the smaller
> tubers
> that seem to be available (at least for a price) as of late.
>
> Is this truly an accurate guess as to the number of titanums in existence?
>

> Don Martinson
> Milwaukee, Wisconsin
> Mailto:llmen@wi.rr.com

Tony Avent
USDA Zone 7b, (0-10F winter, 90-100F Summer)
Plant Delights Nursery
9241 Sauls Road
Raleigh, NC  27603, USA
ph 919.772.4794
fx 919.772.4752

"I consider every plant hardy until I've killed it myself...at least three
times."  - Avent