Re: Aroid-L Digest, Vol 66, Issue 9

Hi All, I have a couple of updates form the new riparium setup that I have
going, a 50-gallon tank featuring Synodontis catfish. I do not have very
many aroids in this setup. There is one Cryptocoryne in the underwater
area. Here is a shot from last week.

http://hydrophytesblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/8-i-09-tank-i-m.jpg

I need to add a few more plants to the underwater portion. The emergent
foliage includes mostly small aquatic stem plants. I also have a couple of
Cyperus umbrella sedges that are looking very nice.

The most interesting plant specimen is the Cyrtosperma johnstonii that I
am using as a centerpiece. It looks very healthy, but thankfully it is
growing rather slowly. It is currently about nine inches tall.

http://hydrophytesblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/6-i-09-cyrtosperma-johnstonii-ii-m.jpg

I am quite impressed by the patternation on the undersides of the leaves.

http://hydrophytesblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/6-i-09-cyrtosperma-johnstonii-iii-m.jpg

I like the fish a lot too. In addition to the Synodontis lucipinnis
catfish--I don't have any good pictures of these yet--there is a single
Cryptoheros cichlid...

http://hydrophytesblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/31-xii-09-cryptoheros-cutteri-i-m.jpg

...and a group of five livebearers, Ilyodon furcidens (Goodeidae).

http://hydrophytesblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/31-xii-09-ilyodon-furcidens-i-m.jpg