Supervolute vernation. Finally a photo!

  • Subject: Supervolute vernation. Finally a photo!
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@exoticrainforest.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 19:19:13 -0600

I too have been having the same problem.  I thought I had this figured out but there is still some mystery since I've now been told supervolute is quite common and the definition is the same as convolute.  Involute appears as two tubes rolled inward.  There appears to be a minor difference between supervolute and convolute but even though I thought I had that figured out I'm no longer certain.  I ordered a copy of Stern's Botanical Latin which is supposed to make all this clearer.  I would suggest anyone interested order a copy from Amazon for $20 or less.  The difference appears to involve whether there is a single flower or group involved but I dare not offer what I understand and would prefer someone with a higher level of education respond.

Marek Argent wrote:
Dear Steve,
I tried to undrestand the definition of supervolute vernation, but it exceeds my 3D imagination
and I still don't know if I understand the terms "convolute" and "involute" properly.
Here are links to photos of convolute and involute vernating leaves of Amorphophallus species.
Is this correctly?

fn:Steve  Lucas

Aroid-L mailing list