Re: MidAmerica meeting in St. Louis

  • Subject: Re: MidAmerica meeting in St. Louis
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 20:32:40 -0600

For those that have aroid collections with plants you haven't been able to ID you will love the Lucid segment of this program.  Lucid is a program available on CATE Araceae to plant lovers that helps you to key out plants.  If you can measure and count the characteristics of a plant you can at least get close to an ID with Lucid!  Dr. Croat introduced the program to me in December and I'm having fun playing with it!

We're also planning to have dinner together for all that want to stay after the meeting!  Unless you attend the September show in Miami you won't find an aroid show like it, at least not in mid America!

Please join us!

Zach DuFran wrote:

The 2nd meeting of the MidAmerica IAS chapter has been scheduled for April 24 at the Missouri Botanical Gardens.  The full-day event will be hosted by Dr. Tom Croat, including scientific talks, garden tours, a plant and cuttings swap and practical growing advice.  The tentative schedule has been posted to the website (www.aroid.org/midamerica), and is included here below.  The only cost will be admission to the botanical gardens, which is posted on their website (www.mobot.org).

Members and non-members are invited to attend half or the full day of events.  This is an event you don’t want to miss.  If you are within driving distance, or if you would like to fly in and spend some time in St. Louis, we would love to have you join us.

As Dr. Croat is making arrangements for space and refreshments, we would appreciate RSVPs for those that would like to attend.  Please email me, if you would like to attend or be kept updated about the meeting.

Zach DuFran

2nd MidAmerica Chapter

International Aroid Society Meeting

Missouri Botanical Garden

April 24, 2010

All plant enthusiasts are encouraged to attend – you don’t have to be a member of the IAS!  The only cost is admission to the Missouri Botanical Gardens.  Feel free to come for the first half, second half, or the full day of activities!

Opening Gathering:

8:30-9:30 AM. Coffee

9:30 AM    A review of Systematic work with Araceae in the New World . Thomas B. Croat, Missouri Botanical Garden

10:15 AM Coffee break

10:45 AM     A preview of the Philodendron from some arid areas of Brazil and a visit to the Burle Marx Collection in Brazil, Joep Moonen, Emerald Jungle Village, French Guiana.

11:15 AM     Missouri Botanical Gardens Grounds Tour. This tour will concentrate on some of the grounds near the Ridgway Center since at least some of us will return there for lunch

12:15 PM     Lunch break

Opening of Afternoon session:

1:00 PM     An introduction to aroid genera, Thomas B. Croat, Missouri Botanical Garden

1:45 PM     Cultivating tropical plants efficiently in a temperate environment, Steve Lucas, Siloam Springs , Arkansas .

2:15 PM     Cultivating Aroids outdoors in a temperate area.  Steve Marak, Springdale , Arkansas

2:30 PM     Coffee break and plant swap and give away

3:00 PM     Tour of Missouri Botanical Garden Aroid Collection

3:45 PM      Tour of Research complex at Lehmann Building herbarium. This will include seeing the world’s largest collection of herbarium specimens, demonstrations on the use of Lucid, a session at the CATE Araceae site at Kew and an explanation of Croat’s research efforts with revisionary  and floristic studies.

4:30 PM         Refreshments

5:00 PM         Adjournment [Depart for dinner, for those that would like.]