hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
New Trillium species discovered

Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

RSS story archive

Supervolute vernation. Finally a photo!

  • Subject: Supervolute vernation. Finally a photo!
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:17:17 -0600

I screwed up big time and inserted the wrong drawing. 

These are the correct drawings from Stern's showing the placement of the midrib.  It appears the only difference in supervolute and convolute is a leaf forming around another leaf but frankly I still don't have a completely satisfactory explanation.  I try almost daily
on my website to make subjects like this clearer for anyone interested in aroids that does not have or is not interested in earning a degree in botany.   I am now to the point of completely removing the subject since I am no longer sure I fully understand it or can help anyone else to understand. 

I don't believe any definition in print in any of the 5 botanical dictionaries I now own make the distinction (if any) between convolute and supervolute clear.  At least in the dictionaries they appear to be synonymous and are one and the same.


Marek Argent wrote:
We cannot talk about vernation types not seeing the midrib as it is presented on the second drawing.
It can as well be a half of a leaf rolled involutely.
The third drawing (convolute) is what I thought about (but I was afraid to say) -
that the term "convolute" may refer only to at least two objects
like one leaf inside another one or a spadix wrapped by a spathe.
Anyway in my cord photos, the third type, although probably not occuring in Araceae
is possible, so it must have a name too.
It's becoming complicated...

These drawings are from William T. Stern's Botanical Latin, 4th edition.

JPEG image

fn:Steve  Lucas

Aroid-L mailing list

Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index

 © 1995-2017 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement