Supervolute vernation. Finally a photo!

  • Subject: Supervolute vernation. Finally a photo!
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:17:17 -0600

I screwed up big time and inserted the wrong drawing.

These are the correct drawings from Stern's showing the placement of the midrib.  It appears the only difference in supervolute and convolute is a leaf forming around another leaf but frankly I still don't have a completely satisfactory explanation.  I try almost daily
on my website to make subjects like this clearer for anyone interested in aroids that does not have or is not interested in earning a degree in botany.   I am now to the point of completely removing the subject since I am no longer sure I fully understand it or can help anyone else to understand.

I don't believe any definition in print in any of the 5 botanical dictionaries I now own make the distinction (if any) between convolute and supervolute clear.  At least in the dictionaries they appear to be synonymous and are one and the same.

Marek Argent wrote:
We cannot talk about vernation types not seeing the midrib as it is presented on the second drawing.
It can as well be a half of a leaf rolled involutely.
The third drawing (convolute) is what I thought about (but I was afraid to say) -
that the term "convolute" may refer only to at least two objects
like one leaf inside another one or a spadix wrapped by a spathe.
Anyway in my cord photos, the third type, although probably not occuring in Araceae
is possible, so it must have a name too.
It's becoming complicated...

These drawings are from William T. Stern's Botanical Latin, 4th edition.

JPEG image

fn:Steve  Lucas

Aroid-L mailing list