Re: Temperature requierements for Helicodiceros

  • Subject: Re: Temperature requierements for Helicodiceros
  • From: Christopher Rogers <crogers@ecoanalysts.com>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:31:33 -0800

Greetings, Bernhard!

I know that some people have grown this plant in warmer areas by putting the tubers in the refrigerator for a few months.

Here in California, my Helicodiceros and Dracunculus started coming up in the end of December. Here we have a Mediterranean climate. In fact almost all of our invasive weeds here are Mediterranean natives: Avena, Hordeum, Vinca, Lolium multiflorum, Taeniatherum, Centauria solstitialis, Centauria diffusa,  Carduus pycnocephalus, Carthamus . . . just to name a few. We have hot dry summers, with temperatures in the 40s degrees C. In September and October the temperature begins to drop. By December we are having our first freezes. My Biarums were out in September and all my Arums (I have eight species) and Ambrosina bassi have at least the first leaves up by November. We have cool to cold wet winters, and the Helicodiceros is usually in full foliage by end of February. I get my first blooms in April.

I hope that this helps,

D. Christopher Rogers

EcoAnalysts, Inc.

P.O. Box 4098