Blooming requirements for Helicodiceros

  • Subject: Blooming requirements for Helicodiceros
  • From: Christopher Rogers <crogers@ecoanalysts.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:32:26 -0800

Good morning, Susan!

Helicodiceros needs lots of sun to bloom. They also love fertilizer. When they are growing, I keep mine in full sun. I repot every other year after they go dormant. The media I use is peat/sand/pumice (grit) with lots of dry compost/leaf litter mixed in. During dormancy I keep them completely dry. When they break dormancy, I give them lots of water (I leave them out in the rain, and if there is no rain I do not let the soil completely dry out), but I never let them sit in water. They must be well drained. Using these methods each plant gives me anywhere from one to three inflorescences per year.

Happy days!

D. Christopher Rogers

EcoAnalysts, Inc.

P.O. Box 4098