Re: lotus effect with Colocasia fallax

  • Subject: Re: lotus effect with Colocasia fallax
  • From: Theodore Held <oppenhauser2001@gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:04:17 -0500

Geneviève,

The lotus effect is quite common in my experience. It has been getting
a lot of attention in the popular press lately and there are a number
of academic studies of the phenomenon using nano materials. A Google
search will turn up many hits.

One of the best displays can be seen on the humble aroid Pistia.
Leaves of Pistia will support quite a large water droplet with no
wetting of the leaf surface that supports the hairs.

Ted Held.
Detroit