Re: lotus effect with Colocasia fallax

  • Subject: Re: lotus effect with Colocasia fallax
  • From: david bröderbauer <david_dav44@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 13:53:25 +0100

Hi Ted,

Pistia is in fact a very beautiful example for a water-repellent surface. It has to be kept in mind - as you mention - that it generates this superhydrophobic effect with hairs (not with papillate cells like in Nelumbo or Colocasia) that are covered with wax. So, the term 'lotus-effect' describes the syndrom of superhydrophobicity (which means that the contact angle of a water droplet is at least 150°), but there are different structures within the Araceae and other plant families, that produce this effect.

David Broederbauer