Re: Unpotted Amorphophallus & Blooms

  • Subject: Re: Unpotted Amorphophallus & Blooms
  • From: Ken Mosher <ken@spatulacity.com>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 14:22:00 -0500

To the poster who did not take the time to provide a name:

The species you mentioned have often been left out of soil even when blooming and do not strictly require it. However, Wilbert Hetterscheid posted not too long ago that no Amorphophallus should be allowed to bloom out of soil. He said that many times they will put out some roots when blooming that can take in moisture. Wilbert is much more knowledgeable than I am so I won't elaborate any more than this.

I can also say, however, that blooming takes a lot of resources out of a tuber. Once you've seen a particular species bloom once or twice you might consider cutting the growing inflorescence off in its early stages and save all that stored energy for new leaf production instead of flowering.