Re: Amorphophallus Titanum offset?

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus Titanum offset?
  • From: Douglas M Ewing <dewing@u.washington.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 12:03:00 -0800 (PST)

I too, have had A.titanum produce offset tubers below ground. My experience is that young seedlings will produce multiple leaves, but they are in succession, as the old leaf is starting to die, the new leaf is replacing it. This does not result in division of the tuber. But, anytime you have more than one leaf on a tuber of reasonable size, it means you will have a tuber for each leaf when you dig the plant up after leaf death. I have seen 3, even 4.

Will also mention that producing clonal tubercles of titanum is pretty easy using leaflet cuttings.

Doug