Re: 'Indian Giant' ploidylevel [was :Re: Sauromatum x Pinellia hybrid]

  • Subject: Re: 'Indian Giant' ploidylevel [was :Re: Sauromatum x Pinellia hybrid]
  • From: James Waddick <jwaddick@kc.rr.com>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 12:48:39 -0600

Title: Re: [Aroid-l] 'Indian Giant' ploidylevel [was :Re: Sauro
Bernhard  wrote:

        Dear Jim W.,

....already more than one year ago I compared the ploidy level of a normal form of Typhonium venosum.... with my 'Indian Giant' clone

However, I did no chromosome counts, but if 'Indian Giant' would be a tetraploid of the normal form of T. venosum, the graph should show a first peak at channel 100 for the G1-nuclei and a second at channel 200 for the G2-nulei. This is not the case; all three clones have the peaks roughly at channel 50 and channel 100.

Dear Bernhard.
        I am very interested in your results, but I admit I do not quite understand exactly what is being measured in these graphs. Do these peaks indicate the amount, weight or kind of chromosomal materials.?

        Does it really say there is the same quantity of genetic material? If so it does suggest that all three are genetically quite similar.

        Or does it just say they have the same kinds of chromosomes and does not give a quantitative measure?

        What exactly does this show. ?

        Why are there 2 peaks?

        I love your photos of dormant bulbs. I didn't realize 'Indian Giant' could reach such proportions!

                Thanks for the info.                    Best and thanks Jim W.
Dr. James W. Waddick
8871 NW Brostrom Rd.
Kansas City Missouri 64152-2711
Ph.    816-746-1949