Re: Growing arums in pots

  • Subject: Re: Growing arums in pots
  • From: "D. Christopher Rogers" <branchiopod@gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 09:54:00 -0600

Dear David,
When I lived in the Mediterranean climate of northern California, I had summer temperatures that reached 48 degrees C/ 120 degrees F. I used to just put the pots on the north side of the shade house, in the shade, no direct sun and no water. They did just fine. I had A. italicum, pupureospathum, dioscoridis, palestinum, sintenesii, hygrophilum, cyrenaicum, and pictum all do just fine under these conditions.
I grew them in large pots, similar to what Pete described, is a soil mix that was one part peat, one part pumice, two parts sand, and two parts well rotted dry compost.
The Arum pictum was moved out to sunny location in late August and started getting water when the inflorescences first started poking up. The others were moved out into the same area in November and started getting water (rain) at that time.