Subject: not an aroid question
Author:  PC :lkallus@earthlink.net at INTERNET
Date:    1/16/97 12:08 PM

I'm going to be obnoxious and ask a non-aroid question here.  I apologize
but am going to be asking everywhere till I track down the info.

While I was in Miami last week, I went to a nursery.  There, I found a
plant that I hadn't seen before.  I bought 3 rooted cuttings of it.  The
owner called it a Mandanella.

No, it's not a Mandevilla.  I have several of those, know they used to be
called Dipladenia and recognize them a mile away.

I dragged out my copy of the Exotica to try to describe the plant.  This is
tougher than I thought.

It has smooth edged (entire) elliptic shaped leaves that are arranged in an
opposite pattern.  The leaves are thick, have pinnate venation (although
you can't see the sub-branches as shown in the Exotica).  The leaf
attachment is halfway between stalked and sessile though closer to sessile.

The flowers are in my memory only and I haven't seen it for 5 days.  What I
recall, though, reminded me of some bromeliad flowers I've seen.  I looked
through the exotica, can't find the exact one it reminded me of, but the
closest I can come is Aechmea gracilis.  The mass of flowers was perhaps
4-5 inches long and 1 inch wide.  They looked like pink match heads with
blue tips.  (...or was it blue matchheads with pink tips?  No, I think the
former.)

So with this kind of a vague description, can anyone help?  (I feel like
some of the people I know who ask about a plant they have at home.  "It's
big and has pretty red flowers.")

I apologize for diverting attention from aroids.
       Les