Re: While Stearn was open..........

The message <>
  from  Don Burns <> contains these words:

> When I had Stearn off the shelf and open tonight, I tried to determine
> meanings for the names Dracontium and Dracontioides. Stearn did not
> have a solution for me, at least none that I could find. Both genera have
> species with hooded spathes. Is this a clue?

> Don

> Don Burns   Plantation, FL USA   Zone 10b

Both have as their roots the Greek draco - dragon. Dracontium is an
ancient Greek plant name used for plant coloured like a serpent or
dragon.  Dracontioides signals that the plants resembles Dracontium.

Charles Nelson

Dr Charles Nelson
Tippitiwitchet Cottage, Hall Road, OUTWELL PE14 8PE, Wisbech, UK
tel [+ 44] 01945 773057. fax [+ 44] 1945 774077