Re: While Stearn was open..........

The message <Pine.A32.3.91.980118190031.62031A-100000@mobot.mobot.org>
  from  Don Burns <burns@mobot.org> contains these words:

> When I had Stearn off the shelf and open tonight, I tried to determine
> meanings for the names Dracontium and Dracontioides. Stearn did not
> have a solution for me, at least none that I could find. Both genera have
> species with hooded spathes. Is this a clue?

> Don

> Don Burns   Plantation, FL USA   Zone 10b

Both have as their roots the Greek draco - dragon. Dracontium is an
ancient Greek plant name used for plant coloured like a serpent or
dragon.  Dracontioides signals that the plants resembles Dracontium.

Charles Nelson

--
Dr Charles Nelson
Tippitiwitchet Cottage, Hall Road, OUTWELL PE14 8PE, Wisbech, UK