Re: While Stearn was open..........

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Burns <>
To: <>
Date: Sunday, January 18, 1998 8:17 PM
Subject: While Stearn was open..........

>When I had Stearn off the shelf and open tonight, I tried to determine
>meanings for the names Dracontium and Dracontioides. Stearn did not
>have a solution for me, at least none that I could find. Both genera have
>species with hooded spathes. Is this a clue?
>Don Burns   Plantation, FL USA   Zone 10b
Dear Don,
According to notes in the new GoA and Dan Nicolison`s article in Aroideana
Vol 10, No. 3, "Derivation of Aroid Generic Names", "Dracontium" is from
both Latin and Greek, meaning Dragon or snake, refering to the markings on
the petioles, and " Dracontioides" is from Dracontium + "-oides",
"resembling Dracontium".
The word "naviculus" probably refers to the boat-shaped spathe, but wait to
hear from Tom or someone better at latin names than I!