Re: Tuber vs. Corm and how about pronunciation?

  • To: lindsey@mallorn.com
  • Subject: Re: Tuber vs. Corm and how about pronunciation?
  • From: grsjr@juno.com (George R Stilwell, Jr.)
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:24:05 -0600

Jeanne,

In the AEG (Arisaema Enthusiasts Group) discussion list, Arisaema-L, the
subject was discussed
in depth (you might even say, beat to death) and tuber was the final
consensus.

As for pronunciation, the latter "Ar-i-se'-ma" accent on the "se" and "e"
sounding as "ee" is correct according to the "New Pronouncing Dictionary
of Plant Names". The "Manual of Herbaceous Ornamental Plants" (Steven M.
Still) agrees.
Still, we too find a few members using the other pronunciation. I think
it's a Canadian thing.

Ray
<GRSJr@Juno.com>

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]