Re: Tpronunciation?

The book 'Botanical Latin' notes that there finally, is no correct
pronunciation of any botanical Latin.  It has a different and unique
history from 'spoken' Latin.

It is further pointed out that hundreds of years ago, when several
European countries got together and each spoke 'Latin' (the only common
language) each individual's Latin 'sounded' like the home language, so much
so as to be almost unintelligable to the others.

A friend of our's, who is well known in plant circles, told us early on
that the most important thing about Latin pronunciation is to: "Say it
with authority".

So.......you say potato and I say potato, it just doesn't sound the same,
but we all know what we are talking about.

Billl & Harvey
SKID Plants  Zone 6  CT  USA