Re: Subspecies vs. species?

> Although not always, many variegated plants occur on the forest floor. The
> theory was that insects crawling along the floor, would see light coming
> through the leaf, and the paler areas would give the appearance that the
> leaf had already been eaten away in parts, and was not fresh material.
> Who knows?

I have heard the same theory about the naturally occurring holes in the
leaves of Monstera; however, personally, I do not believe it.  Insects'
vision is undoubtedly different from ours, and whether they could make a
deduction on the freshness of a plant leaf by its appearance is unknown, as
their mental processes are little-understood.