Philodendron selloum

I'm curious to hear of any successes with this species as a permanent
garden plant in 'cool' areas ie. USDA Zones 9 or above.  Having gone
through a winter here in England, where even Taro (Colocasia
esculenta) has not died down and is now starting to produce new
leaves, I'm very tempted to try this in a sheltered corner.  I
understand the leaves are often killed by frost, but the 'trunk' can
and does survive down to around 27F or even lower. =20

I appreciate it probably needs good, hot humid conditions in order to
make up in summer, but my little patch (a very sheltered, south
facing, walled garden in the far south-west) is invariably very warm
and humid throughout the spring, summer and autumn months.  Daytime
highs of the mid to upper 80's and night-time lows in the upper 60's
are not at all uncommon even during a comparatively cool summer.
Gardenia jasminoides 'Florida', 'Butterfly gingers' (Hedychiums
coronarium & gardnerianum) and even Christmas (Bracket) Cactus
(Schlumbergera) flourish and flower without any problems

David Poole
USDA Zone 9b